Xylosylve-Ecosylve technical platform: innovative silvicultural systems
A set of long-term experiments to analyze the functioning of fast-growing forests.
The XYLOSYLVE platform is cofunded by the Aquitaine region and the French State (Investments for the Future Programme). Its overall goal is to support the dynamic adaptation of the Forest-Wood sector facing new challenges linked to climate change, rapidly changing biotopes and requirements of production and environmental durability.
In practice, XYLOSYLVE aims to install an open Living Lab of terrestrial functional ecology based on long-term biophysic and biogeochemical measurements and observations from fast-growing forest ecosystems. Referring to both the most recent scientific results, and the forest development perspectives in Aquitaine (for more details, please refer to the Scientific Context and the INRA prospective in the « library » section), XYLOSYLVE will assess the environmental and production performances of different innovative silvicultural options: mixing species, fixing plants, recycling of forest residues, etc.
- Analyze the performance and environmental impacts of innovative silvicultural systems.
- Observe and measure the long-term functioning of forest ecosystems through continuous biophysical and biogeochemical measurements.
- Provide a platform of tests as well as biophysical and biogeochemical databases for the scientific and professional community.
- Facilitate access of training to research.
A step forward in research; a technical platform whithin a network
This technical platform is intended for several user categories:
- Receiving and hosting new research projects implemented by teams outside the platform, as part of regional (CRA, LABEX COTE), national (ANR) and international projects.
- Developing international partnerships by affiliation to ICOS (Integrated Carbon Observation System) and EXPEER (Experimentation in Ecosystem Research) infrastructures.
- Create an exchange interphase with the professional world through a participatory management combining the professional sectors, and public and environmental policy makers concerned.
- Promote the link with education and training through experimental educational projects or plot visits, following the example of the partnership established under the Aquitain and European « Carbo School » project.